Thursday, February 25, 2010

Campbell Patterson


I don't know what it is about this young artist; he intrigues me utterly and completely. Today on our excursion to GOMA I saw his recent body of work. It was a series of short repetitive films of him repeatedly doing something totally normal and to be honest not very interesting. For example, my favourite was one where he was simply rubbing shampoo onto his head off the floor. It is so bizarre and unusual that you can't look away (well, at least i can't). When you put on the headphones you could hear the shampoo squelching and gooping... it really was mesmerising. I found his works to be much like Andy Warhol's original works. A few of his short films in particular had the same repetitive and simple yet interesting characteristics.

I came home and did a bit of research on this artist and after watching the YouTube clip from the gallery of him discussing his body of work i have come to the conclusion that he is a younger, modernised and more unusually bizarr as Andy Warhol... Actually i think Campbell is a bit more on the strange side. He seems very shy and introverted by the way he presents himself in this clip.




1 comment: